Toggle menu

Signs and advertisements

The control of adverts and signs is covered by The Town and Country Planning (Control of Advertisements) (England) Regulations 2007 (as amended). Adverts and signs do not require planning permission but may require Advertisement Consent.

The term advertisement covers a very wide range of advertisements and signs including:

  • posters and notices
  • placards and boards
  • fascia signs and projecting signs
  • pole signs and canopy signs
  • models and devices
  • advance signs and directional signs
  • estate agents' boards
  • captive balloon advertising (not balloons in flight)
  • flag advertisements
  • price markers and price displays
  • traffic signs
  • town and village name-signs.


Apply for Advertisement Consent 

You can apply for Advertisement Consent to display an advert or sign on the Planning Portal website. Select 'Consent to display an advertisement' from the drop down menu of application types.

When deciding applications for Advertising Consent, we can only have regard only to considerations of 'amenity' and 'public safety'.

Apply for advertising consent

The government has produced a useful booklet on how the system controlling adverts and signs works and when Advertising Consent is needed. View more information on Advertisement Consent on the GOV.UK website.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email