The mace was originally a weapon of war and is without doubt the most primitive of all weapons produced by man. Today's mace is a highly ornamental descendant. It is no longer seen as a weapon but a symbol of authority. Chorley has 2 maces.
Brass mace - this mace was presented to the Mayor and Aldermen of the Borough of Chorley by Alderman John Whittle during his year as Mayor in 1892. It still displays the original motto BEWARE. Made out of solid brass, the mace is quite heavy. It weighs 50 lbs or just over 22 kilos.
This mace is used to open full council meetings every 6 weeks in the same way that parliament is opened by banging the Council Chamber door 3 times at 6.30pm. The Civic Attendant then takes the mace into the Council Chamber followed by the Mayor, Chief Executive and Mayoress/Consort.
The mace is placed on the dais in front of the Mayor with the crown pointing to the Mayor's right. The mace would only be pointed left if Head of State was present. The Civic Attendant leaves the Council Chamber and waits in the Mayor's Parlour until he hears a buzzer which is the signal to go and collect the mace followed by the Mayor which ends the council meeting.
Silver mace - this mace is solid silver and is used for Mayoral parades in the town such as Civic Sunday, which usually takes place in May shortly after the Mayor comes into office. It was presented to the Town Hall by Alderman Arnold Gillett in 1930 on his appointment as Jubilee Mayor. The figure on the top of the mace represents St Laurence, deacon and martyr of Rome. The mace has precious stones around the edges and three dragons similar to those on the brass mace.