Toggle menu

Jubilee Street Party

As part of the Platinum Jubilee Celebrations we are allowing Communities and Parishes to apply for funding to host their own street parties to celebrate The Queen's Jubilee. This will be taking place between Thursday 2 June to Sunday 5 June 2022.

The funding is open to Resident Communities and Parish Communities.

Below is the guidance to follow to host the parties along with the application forms to fill out.

Guidance for holding a street party

What sort of events does this apply to?

This is about the sort of street parties and fetes that groups of residents get together to arrange for their neighbours. The main differences between a small street party and fetes and larger public events are listed below:

Street parties and fetes:

  • For residents/neighbours only
  • Publicity only to residents
  • No licences normally necessary if music incidental and no selling is involved
  • No formal risk assessment needed
  • Self-organised

Larger public events:

  • Anyone can attend
  • External publicity (such as in newspapers)
  • Licence usually needed
  • Insurance needed
  • Risk assessment common
  • Professional/skilled organisers

Street parties

The Street Party website and The Big Lunch website have great tools to help you plan. 

There is also a useful guide to organising a street party on the GOV.UK website.

Risk Assessment - You don't need an elaborate risk assessment - just the common sense precautions you take in your own daily life.

Entertainment licence - The Licensing Act 2003 explicitly exempts garden fetes "and functions or events of a similar character" from being regarded as "regulated entertainment". You only need a licence if you plan to sell alcohol or charge for a performance.

Street Meet - you can organise a gathering or 'Street Meet' in another space such as a local park, driveway or cul-de-sac without any requirement to fill in council forms. Road Closure Orders are only required where the street party takes place on the roads. Residents should speak to the council about plans - Street Party has some excellent guidance on how to go about it. There is also a useful guide to organising a street party on the GOV.UK website.

Costs - the Council does not charge a fee for the application for a street party. However, in your application form you will be required to state how much of the fund you are applying for and what it will be used for.

For example: Union Jack Buntin - Decorating the outside of houses - £20

Please note that you are not guaranteed to receive the amount of funding you have applied for, as we are anticipating a large volume of applicants.

The waiving of street party fees applies to residents of residential streets only. The waiving of fees does not apply to traders seeking to close high streets.

You will need to plan in plenty of time, applications will close on 30 April 2022 for anyone wishing to hold a street party over the bank holiday weekend of Thursday 2 to Sunday 5 June 2022. You should allow between 6 and 8 weeks for any street party to be approved.

Time Scale - Please submit your application 6 to 8 weeks in advance

Insurance - There is no requirement to have public liability insurance however the Council strongly recommend it. You might find it helpful to go on the Street Party website and The Big Lunch website have great  tips. Quotes for insurance start from as little as £53 - and the costs can always be split between residents, or you could hold a raffle or ask for donations to cover the costs.

Licence - If you want to have a pay bar or intend to provide entertainment to the wider public, or charge to raise money for your event, you will need a Temporary Event Notice. There is usually no legal requirement for a food licence however please make further enquires with the Council if sale of food is proposed.

Residents' notification letters

It is important to consult with other residents when planning a street party event, as this ensures there is support for the event to go ahead.

The letter should include an explanation of the proposed event and an indication of the affect it will have. You should try and be as specific as you can with details such as dates and times.

In the first instance, residents should be directed to the event organiser(s) to answer any questions and queries regarding the event.

All residents must receive a letter. Ideally the letter should be delivered between 14 and 28 days before the first event of each applications. Notification letters should include the following information:

  • Event date and timings

  • Road closure details (include a map if possible)

  • Statement in regard to emergency services and carer access being maintained at all times.

  • Contact details for all to contact with any questions.

If you would like to hold a street party or fete, you can use the form below to let the Council know about your plans. The number one tip for holding a party is to plan early, think about what you want to achieve and get in touch with the council at least 6-8 weeks in advance.


Apply to hold a street party or fete 

Complete a funding application.

If you just want to apply for a road closure then please complete a  Street Party Application Form (Word doc) [23KB] .

If you would like the funding and require a road closure then you will need to submit both forms.

You must complete your application at least 6 weeks before the street party is to be held.

If you have any issues please email

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email