Dog breeding premises licence
You must have a dog breeding licence if either:
- you run a business that breeds and sells dogs
- you breed 3 or more litters in any 12 month period and sell any of the puppies.
It is an offence to keep a breeding establishment for dogs without an appropriate licence.
Apply for a dog breeding premises licence
To apply for a dog breeding premises licence please complete the and return it by email to email@example.com.
On deciding whether to grant a licence for the first time we will arrange for a local vet and our animal welfare officer to inspect the premises
This visit is to ensure that your dogs:
- live in suitable accommodation
- receive adequate food, water and bedding
- get enough exercise
- are transported in safe and comfortable conditions
- are protected in case of fire or other emergency
- are protected from pain, injury, suffering and disease.
Your licence will be valid for 1, 2 or 3 years.
You must renew your licence before the expiry date each year if you wish to continue as a dog breeder .
Cost of a dog breeding premises licence
There is an application fee of £188.64 for a dog breeding premises licence. Please make your payments using our automated payments line on 01257 515151, please make sure you obtain a receipt number.
There is also a cost for the initial vet inspection. This fee depends on the size of the premises and number of animals involved. This will be paid directly to the local veterinary surgeon.