Toggle menu


If you are intending to carry out demolition work, you need to let us know giving 6 weeks' notice of commencement. You will need to provide the following information:

  • a site location plan indicating the building(s) to be demolished
  • a site plan showing all the drains and sewers
  • a copy of your notification to adjacent properties
  • a copy of your notification to utility companies
  • the proposed commencement and completion dates.

To let us know about demolition work, download the notice of demolition form (PDF) [58KB] , complete and return to us by email to

There is a £150 fee for a demolition notice. This fee can be paid by calling 01257 515162. 

A counter notice (under Section 81 of the Building Act) will be served on you that may require you to carry out works to services and adjoining buildings. This is to ensure that gas, electricity and water supplies are made safe, redundant drains are sealed, affected buildings are properly supported and weatherproofed, and on completion, debris is removed and the site made safe.



Demolition works can cause problems for neighbours of the site. You can reduce or avoid causing any nuisance to the neighbours, or action being taken by us, if you follow our advice.

  • give us 6 weeks' notice of demolition work
  • we may impose some conditions about how the work should be done
  • send a letter to the neighbours before work starts, telling them about the work and what to expect
  • give the neighbours a contact name and telephone number and keep them informed
  • deal promptly with any complaints received on site
  • keep dust, noise and smoke to a minimum, particularly noisy operations (for example, pile driving)
  • pumps and generators should not be left running overnight if they can be heard outside the site.

If you are a householder doing some or all the work yourself, try to avoid causing any noise or dust in the evenings or on Sundays. If noise problems occur, the neighbours, and us can take legal action. If you think your work may cause a significant nuisance to the neighbours from noise or vibration please contact us prior to commencing work.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email