Toggle menu

Building control and building regulations

Do I need building regulation approval?

Before starting any building works you might need to get either planning permission or building regulations approval, or both.

Apply for building regulation approval

Before starting certain types of building work you may need building regulation approval. If you do not get building regulation approval you may have to correct the work and put it back to the way it was.

Building regulation and inspection process

Full details of the building regulation and inspection process

Building regulation fees and charges

Building regulation fees and charges.

Building inspections

To ensure that your building works comply with building regulations and any other relevant legislation, we will carry out inspections during construction.

Building regulation payments

You can pay a building regulation invoice quickly and easily online using our secure online payments system.

Dangerous structures

We control dangerous buildings and structures. We treat all reported incidents seriously and provide a 24 hour, 365 days a year service. If you see a dangerous building or structure, please report it to us.


If you are intending to carry out demolition work, you need to let us know giving 6 weeks' notice of commencement.

Temporary structures

Where it is intended that a tent, marquee or similar structure is to be erected and the public are to attend, with or without charge, then the promoter will need to notify us and the fire authority 21 days before erecting the temporary structure.

Building control financial statements

For transparency reasons we publish our building control financial statements each year.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email