Toggle menu

Debt and money advice

Citizens Advice

Citizens Advice can offer a range of support services around debt and benefits, energy budgeting, consumer advice, employment, education and health care advice.  They also provide a Help to Claim service which supports people to claim Universal Credit, up to and including the first payment.

Help to Claim (universal credit) telephone: 0800 144 8444

Advice line telephone: 0800 278 7880

Debt line: 0800 240 4420

View more information on the Citizen Advice website.

Step Change

A free, confidential and expert debt advice service online or over the phone.  

View more information on the Step Change website.

Telephone: 0800 138 1111


The Money Advice Service

This service has been set up by the government and provides free and impartial money advice. More specifically, it provides guides to help improve finances, tools and calculators to help keep track and plan ahead. Support is available over the phone or online.  

View more information on the Money Advice Service website.

Telephone: 0800 138 7777


Christians Against Poverty

Christians Against Poverty runs a network of debt centres throughout the UK, each one in partnership with a local church.  

St Laurence's Church in Chorley hosts a debt centre where local people can access advice and support.

Telephone: 0800 328 0006

Lancashire and South Cumbria Health and Care Partnership - Debt and Money Advice

The Lancashire and South Cumbria Health and Care Partnership provide debt and money advice and support when debt or money worries affect your mental health.

View more information on the Lancashire and South Cumbria Health and Care Partnership website.



Social tariffs on broadband, phone and mobile.

Affordable telecoms tariffs are available to people and families on low incomes from a few providers in the UK.

View the full guide to the social broadband tariffs available in the UK on the Choose website.


Lancashire Community Finance Ltd

Working in partnership with NatWest Bank and Responsible Finance to provide small grants to local residents through a new Hardship Grant Fund.

LCF's expert advisor team also offer free, impartial, and confidential advice on money, benefits, debt and housing issues.

Telephone: 01772 556877



Help to Save

The Help to Save scheme gives low-income earners claiming universal credit or working tax credit a savings boost. It pays a 50% bonus on the amount saved, up to a maximum of £1,200 over four years.

You need to be a UK resident (or posted overseas as a crown servant or with the armed forces) and either:

  • Receive universal credit and have had employment income of £722.45 in the last monthly assessment period; or...
  • Be entitled to working tax credit and receive working or child tax credit.

To apply: Help to Save

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email